Kari's Shop ~ Kari Herer Photography, Kari's Website/Blog ~ Keri HererToday's artist interview is with Keri Herer from Portland, Maine. Just like I shared in today's lesson, Kari has her own signature style. Not too many photographers illustrate deer antlers, adorn them with pink roses, and then photograph them into a masterpiece!
Kari's work has been featured in several publications such as Martha Stewart Living and Maine Magazine and on such reputable blogs as Design Sponge and Decor8.
Be inspired by Kari's photography and her interview!
When did you first know you were an artist?
It wasn't a specific time, moment, or event where I knew I was an artist. Growing up around a father who was a biology teacher and a very artistic mother, I don't think that I had a choice other than being visual. My dad always had an activity up his sleeve for us to experiment with or an insect to dissect and my mother was always crafting up something new. I think it's in my blood to create and explore.
Who and/or what inspires your work?
Currently my 2 year old daughter is inspiring my work. She is showing me new things everyday and I'm grateful to have this time to explore with her. Whether it be breaking an egg or watching a baby lamb, her excitement makes me want to pick up the camera.
So many artists have inspired my work but a few that stick out are Cig Harvey, Jill Greenberg, Edward Weston, Dorothy Lange and Richard Notkin

As an artist, what is your biggest challenge?
Being social. I'm constantly alone in my studio (or being mommy) and I really have to push myself to socialize and see other artists work. The internet has been a great tool to see what is current in art but I always prefer a great artist show or talk.
What do you do to motivate yourself when you are in a creative rut?
I'm a do-er, so If I just keep working I usually can overcome any rut in no time. Sometimes it just takes a long run in the woods to stimulate my creativity.

What is the one thing you are most proud of about your work?
My work is constantly growing and evolving. I love that it's a process and I don't have to stay in one place. Sometimes artists can get so involved in creating a "look or style" that they get stuck and don't allow themselves to evolve.
What words of wisdom can you offer students?
Follow your own heart and soul. Be true to yourself and be patient. Ideas don't just happen overnight or in one brainstorm - they evolve. I think that if you are patient while following your soul, great things will always come. Also, your weaknesses can be your strengths.

Hope you enjoyed this interview with Kari Herer as much as I did. :)
How is your weekly assignment going so far? Remember that I'm available to answer any questions you might have or to offer suggestions if you feel a little stuck.
On Friday the lesson is called "Being Inspired and Inspiring". I'll offer you a few suggestions on how to be inspired by the work of other artists, while staying true to yourself. I'll also feature the work of a talented accessory designer from Florida, and post an inspiring interview from artist/designer/photographer, Ishtar Olivera!
Yeah... I pretty much love her work. The roses and the antlers are beyond genius. One of my dreams is to make/create something no one has done yet or start a new trend.
ReplyDeleteAnd, I know you'll do it, Annetta! You have that special drive and ambition that it takes. xo
DeleteThat is just so sweet! Thank you Vicki!!
DeleteWow, I love these. Thanks for sharing them with us Vicki.
ReplyDelete