Pages

Feb 3, 2013

Artist Interview - Tabitha Emma

Tabitha's textile and print shop ~ Tabitha Emma, Tabitha's graphic design shop ~ Tabitha Emma, Tabitha's website/blog ~ Tabitha Emma

Introducing the wonderfully talented Australian designer and artist, Tabitha Emma! I discovered Tabitha's work a few months ago on Etsy and fell in love with her soft vintage style. Infact, when it came time to enlisting a designer for the blogheader for Raining Umbrellas, Tabitha was the first person to come to mind. She designed the lovely umbrella banner at the top of this page!

Tabitha trained in Fashion and Textile Design at the Whitehouse Institute of Design and at the Enmore Design Centre in Graphic Design and Communication.

She has a wide range of skills including illustration, textiles, fashion, print graphics, digital animation, and web design.

Enjoy Tabitha's inspiring interview!

When did you first know you were an artist?

I have always been a creative person. My mum is an artist and from a young age she taught me to paint, sew, and make crafts. I always enjoyed making things and creating art, so there was no real defining moment when I knew I was an artist.

Who and/or what inspires your work?

I am inspired by a lot of things: the world around me, urban textures, nostalgia from the past and sometimes movies or events inspire me. I try to keep an eye on what is going on in the design world to keep in line with trends, but also look to the outside world to add a bit of myself to my designs. It is important for an artist or designer to look not only to the design/art world but also to be explorers of the world around them. Artists should never switch off. You should always be on the look out for inspiration and take in the world around you.


As an artist, what is your biggest challenge?

Making a living. As sad as it is, art is still a hard industry to succeed in. The internet has made things easy for creatives and allowed them to more easily sell work, but it is still a challenge. If you want to take your creativity seriously you really need to be passionate and give it your everything, otherwise it is best kept a hobby.

What do you do to motivate yourself when you are in a creative rut?

I clean my studio space and desk. I find cleaning the space around me helps to clear my mind. When the area around you is a mess it is hard to have a clear head and start thinking about new ideas. It is also good to take a break and go outside and get away from work for a while, as sometimes I can get lost in work and stepping away from it gives my brain a chance to refresh and think. Most artist will agree... you come up with your best ideas when you are relaxed, hence why many ideas are thought up in the shower or while drifting off to sleep.


What is the one thing you are most proud of about your work?

That it is constantly evolving and improving. I would be worried if my skills were not continuing to improve and get better over time. I get excited when I produce work that I know is an improvement on things I have done in the past. Artists should be constantly learning and growing.

What words of wisdom can you offer students?

Be passionate about what you do, do what you enjoy, and don't be afraid to experiment.


O.k., Raining Umbrella Students, this is the point in each day's lesson when I'll post your optional creative exercise. And, on Monday (today), I'll also post your weekly assignment. Have a look at the post below! xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for being involved in the discussion area! Each comment you leave is valuable and appreciated. :)