Pages

Feb 25, 2013

First Impressions with Rachel and Nikki


THIS WEEKS THEME IS "PROMOTING YOUR WORK ONLINE"

Good morning.  :)  I can hardly believe it's the final week of Raining Umbrellas ... the time has gone by so fast! I'm hoping this will be an especially fun week for you. If you're excited about developing your blog and using it to showcase your creativity, I think you'll learn a lot and really enjoy the special interviews and podcasts. Since my friend, Rachel Follett, is the pro when it comes to website and blog design, I've asked her to share her ideas and experiences with you in the following interview.

Not only that, Nikki from Kitten Lane, will be adding her expertise today!  She's created a very detailed post on her blog just for this lesson and will be visiting her blog on and off today to answer your questions in the comments section under the post. Thanks so much for doing this, Nikki.  :)


Tell us a little about your background in art and design.

I have always been very creative and loved art and drawing. I knew I wanted to be a designer at a young age and that I wanted to work for myself. I went to The Art Institute of Portland and graduated with a Bachelor of Science in Interior Design. I moved back to Maui after graduating and worked part time with an Interior Designer. I ended up designing her website about three years ago and after that I just kept getting clients for graphic and web. I had discovered a new passion and realized I loved the process of creating a client's identity and helping them promote their business.

How long have you been blogging?

I originally started a blog to help people decorate their homes in 2004 and then was hired to blog for a company called Twolia. I decided I wanted to create a blog with more areas of design so I created Lovely Clusters in May of 2009.


Why, in your opinion, is it important for artists/designers/photographers to have a blog?

I think it’s not only a great way to share your work and inspiration but it’s also a fantastic way to interact with people who have similar interests. There is such a warm community of bloggers and their feedback can really give you that pick-me-up that you need to keep creating and to feel good about your work. People do care! :)

Why is it necessary to have an esthetically pleasing blog?

I think it is so important because people are not going to stay on a blog that they can’t navigate through. Visitors are most likely going to scan your site pretty quickly, so your images/feel/style need to portray what your blog is about.

Where is the best place to find a skilled web/graphic designer?

Usually you can find out who designed a website at the bottom of the blog page. If you come across a website that you really like check out who did it and look into their website and services. You don’t necessarily need a designer who lives close to you either. You can do a lot of communicating through telephone and e-mail. About 75% of my clients are on the mainland.

What questions should we ask when contacting a potential designer for our website/blog?

First, I would let your designer know about your new project, whether it be a website, shop, or blog. Also, give them an idea of the websites/blogs that inspire you so they can get a feel of what you are looking for right off the bat.

Next, I would ask them what their pricing is and ask them to estimate how long they expect your project to take. I would get a contract signed to protect both you and your designer. They should provide the contract for you and make sure you have some sort of payment schedule so you that you are on the same page on how the pricing is going to be laid out.


What sort of questions do you ask your clients to begin the design process?

As a designer I ask my client:

1. What sort of blog layouts do you like? One sidebar? A sidebar on each side?

2. What blog designs do you find inspiring?

3. Are there any design elements you would like to see ( a specific background, etc.) I usually recommend that they look on iStockphoto.com for ideas.

4. What sort of fonts do you like? A great place to look for free fonts is DaFont.com. Or, if you don't mind paying for a font you can check out Myfonts.com. It's wonderful!

5. What are the main links you would like to have on your navbar (example: on Raining Umbrellas Vicki has discussions, assignments, creative exercises, artists)

6. Are there any particular colors you would like to stick with?

I go over the client's answers and then create 2-3 preliminary mockups (examples). I get their feedback and then create more mockups until the client is completely satisfied with the design before I code in all of the information. Once I start coding, we add all the pieces in one by one.


Do you have any blogging tips for us?

I believe that great blogs don’t just provide information, they provide an experience for the reader. Get your readers engaged to get them coming back for more. Don’t concern yourself so much with getting followers and being the biggest blog out there. Blog at least 3 times a week and try to come up with unique topics. I recommend ending each post with a question to get readers responding.

If you’re a new blogger, use a simple template at first to see if you like blogging before spending money to hire a designer. That way when you’re ready to spice it up, your designer can see your posts and get a feel for your blog. :)

*************************************************************************************

These are great tips ... thanks so much, Rachel and Nikki! For more ideas on setting up or redesigning a blog, you might enjoy this article by Christina from Down and Out Chic! Or, you might be interested in an e-course on this subject called "Blogging Your Way".




DISCUSSION PROMPT - Name 3 of your favorite blogs.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:49:00 PM

    Hello,
    My favourites blogs:
    1. www.katiespencilbox.com/
    this blog is for me so personal and beautiful, I love her painting and her pictures, I always find inspiration in the beautiful images she puts.
    2. acreativemint.typepad.com/
    I am a big fan of Leslie, her colour stories and her pictures are amazing.
    3. www.bookhou.com/
    This blogs is more about her products and her story, I used to live in Toronto and she reminds me so much of my old neighbourhood.

    Of course I also follow decor8 and many other, but I guess these three are a good example of what I admire and like.
    Lately I am also so impress with the pictures and the styling in: http://www.mylittlefabric.com/en/category/les-gribouillis-diy/
    but I find it's not an easy blog to navigate.

    I have been thinking a lot about having a blog, but I feel I am not ready and I am more a visual person so when it comes to writing I am a bit intimidated. I think I am going to be so self conscious but I know it's going to be important for me and is one of those things I just have to do and not worry so much

    Cristina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hola Cristina

      Such a fascinating coincidence: I just discovered bookhou.com today thanks to one of my favourite blogs which is http://blogdelanine.blogspot.be/ In yesterday's post, she linked to bookhou. Love it when this sort of things happen :)

      Just added acreativemint to my favourite blogs, as this really is my style: thank you so much for sharing!

      If you'd ever feel ready to start a blog and want to get a bit more confidence, then this could be of great help: http://www.susannahconway.com/e-courses/blogging-from-the-heart/. I only just took this course too as I am planning to start a brand new blog in the future and seriously, every single course tutored by Susannah that I took (and I took them all), is a bless and a real treat. You don't have to write on your blog if you don't want to: a photography blog can be amazing too. It's a great way to connect with like-minded people from all over the world. I started my blog on the day that I was about to participate in Vicki's course as a participant (now almost 2 years ago) and it brought me many good things. If you'd want to see my three very first blog posts, here they are:
      http://estudiosdecococita.wordpress.com/2011/04/29/la-vie-est-plus-belle-quand-on-lecrit-soi-meme/
      http://estudiosdecococita.wordpress.com/2011/04/29/e-creativity-course/
      http://estudiosdecococita.wordpress.com/2011/04/29/the-first-picture/
      I hope they will give you the confidence to start a blog too :) as I am so curious about the things you love, your creations, your life, etc. etc.

      If you'd ever start one, please keep me posted. My personal e-mail address is estudiosdecococita@gmail.com. Don't hesitate to e-mail me in Spanish, as I really like that language and it's a shame that I don't use it anymore (because of a lack of Spanish speaking friends). So, feel free to e-mail me whenever you want, if you'd love to share some creative ideas or the things that you are struggling with ... I'd be pleased to listen :)

      I'll share a pair of other blogs tomorrow, as it's past midnight over here and I planned to have an early night ;)

      Delete
  2. Anonymous6:35:00 PM

    Muchas gracias Cococita,
    I have been thinking a lot about taking Susannah's Unravelling course. Thanks for the recommendation now I more curious about it. I didn't know she had the blogging from the heart. It also sounds really good.

    I am so happy you like bookhou, she is just amazing, and she works so hard. If you are ever in Toronto you have to go see her store. I met her at a gift show and she is so nice and her pieces are so unique. They are a very inspiring couple.
    Thanks for your email and your words, I will definitely keep you posted and I will email you in spanish, what a treat for me!

    my email is here too
    crislugouribe@hotmail.com

    Cristina

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being involved in the discussion area! Each comment you leave is valuable and appreciated. :)