
Good morning! I hope you've had a great week so far. Have you found a little time to work on this week's assignment or a creative exercise or two? I'm sure this course is stretching you a bit since you're a very busy group of women and I know it's not always easy to squeeze creativity into your day. I struggle with that at times, too.
Below I've shared some of my experiences and outlined a few of the ways I cope with creative obstacles. I've written the lesson as if we were in the same room and you were telling me about your frustrations. I hope you'll find something that will encourage you on those days when you feel overwhelmed and uninspired.
I’M IN A CREATIVE RUT
First of all, don’t feel alone. We all have times when life and it’s stresses and demands overwhelm us and our inspiration wanes. While writing this e-course, I found it challenging to squeeze in time to be creative and even our move into a new home threw me off creatively. I experience the same struggles you do to stay motivated creatively and can definitely relate!
Over the last few weeks you've read how other artists/creative women cope with creative ruts. Some go outside for fresh air, clean their workspace or home, step away from their art/craft for awhile, or involve themselves in the activities that inspire them. These are all wonderful ways to dig yourself out of a rut and many of the methods I use to deal with obstacles myself. But let's go a little deeper.
WHEN I'M OVERWHELMED WITH LIFE'S CIRCUMSTANCES, I DON'T FEEL LIKE BEING CREATIVE
My first suggestion for times like this might surprise you. Here's what I might tell you if we were talking face to face. Just go with it! It’s easy to beat yourself up emotionally when you feel stuck and unproductive but, in my opinion, there are times when you need to give yourself a break and not submit to the nagging, critical voice that tells you that you are a failure if you're not creating. In other words, give yourself permission to slack off for awhile. When there are huge transitions in my life that need my attention, I decide not to put pressure on myself to be creative. Somehow this is very freeing and prevents more stress from being piled on to the pressures I'm already feeling. If you do this, I can almost guarantee that you’ll come back renewed and refreshed and inspiration for new project ideas will flow naturally!
Another idea is to do something creative, no matter how small. When I’m feeling uninspired and unmotivated, I’ll force myself to put together even a 5 minute collage or I’ll hop in my car for a short country drive and take just one photo that I later come home and edit. It nurtures my soul when I create even one small thing during these times.
I DON’T HAVE ANY MONEY FOR SUPPLIES
As you know our finances are usually very tight due to the limitations a chronic illness brings. One of the biggest lessons I’ve learned is that I don’t have to go out and buy expensive equipment and supplies in order to create. Often I can use what I already own or even borrow the things that I need. It may not be in the cards for you or me to have the fanciest photographic equipment, a top-notch sewing machine, or the most desirable art supplies. In this case, instead of allowing ourselves to become discouraged, it’s time to be industrious and to do a little problem solving! What other alternatives or options do you have? Do you have a friend or family member that will loan you their camera or allow you to come to their home and use their sewing machine? Can you save up to purchase what you need on Ebay? Is it possible for you to utilize supplies and materials that you have scattered around your home or to purchase items at a lower cost at a local craft store?
I firmly believe that there are always alternatives ... maybe not your ideal, but solutions that will suffice until you’re at a place where you have the means to purchase what you really desire.
I’M TIRED, STRESSED, AND OVERWHELMED
Aw, what better time to involve yourself in a creative project! As you all know, having an art or craft to look forward to can be very healing and have the potential to momentarily whisk you away from the circumstances that overwhelm you. You can find healing, joy, and fulfillment during the trying times in your life by immersing yourself in your work. Allow your creativity to be an avenue for healing and to add meaning to your days when situations seem more than you can handle.
I HAVE SO MANY IDEAS BUT SO LITTLE TIME!
This is another common dilemma amongst creative people. Our lives are so busy and full but that doesn’t seem to keep our creative wheels from spinning! My advice would be to write down your ideas, choose just one, and begin working on it. If you’re like me, you’re an idea person and at times all of the creative thoughts that swim around in your head can cause you too feel overwhelmed and confused and eventually immobilize you. So, when your schedule is packed and it’s almost impossible to find a moment of quiet, choose just one of the creative ideas you have written down, and begin chiseling away at it whenever you can squeeze in even a few minutes. Remember, too, to keep your project and supplies in a visible place and to make a point of setting aside even a few minutes to be creative. I promise you won’t regret it.
MY WORKSPACE IS SMALL, CLUTTERED, AND UNINSPIRING
Since we are moving to a new home in a few months, I don’t have a workspace of my own. I edit photos at a shared computer and create collages on my dining room table. When we move I have visions of a small white desk and table with a colorful inspiration board and neatly stacked containers filled to the brim with supplies. Because I’m still in the process of designing my own creative workspace, I’m going to direct you to a couple of articles that might be helpful for you (and me) as we decorate and organize a place of our own to create.
An article from Real Simple Magazine
A fun post on storage space from Holly of Decor 8
And an article from Fresh Home on organizing a productive home office!
COMPARING MYSELF TO OTHERS AND BECOMING DISCOURAGED
We discussed this the first week of Raining Umbrellas when we talked about being an original. There will always be the tendency to compare our work to that of other creative people. I think it’s just human nature. In saying that, I know for a fact that it’s not healthy for us to dwell there, though. Comparing ourselves and our work to others can cause us to become discouraged and get to the point where we don’t want to try anymore. Can you tell I’ve been there before? We all have! But, what I’ve learned and continue to learn is to appreciate the style of others while at the same time taking pride in my own style. My work reflects ME, my experiences, and who I am as a person. A little "self-talk" won't hurt in times like this. Remind yourself of how valuable you are, how unique your work is, and how not one person has your exact style. Remember ... you're an original.
I DON'T HAVE THE SUPPORT OF FAMILY AND FRIENDS
This topic actually angers and saddens me a bit. It’s sad and maddening to think that the people who are supposed to love us the most are at times the cause of our discouragement and contribute to our lack of motivation to move forward in our creativity.
Don’t let anyone tell you that you’re worthless, that you lack talent, that you have no future. I encourage you to take and use what you can from the well-meaning advice of loved ones, but completely disregard and ignore the criticism of those whose intention is to hurt you. I know this is "easier said than done", but I know from personal experience that it's possible. :)
I'M DISAPPOINTED WITH THE FINAL RESULTS OF MY PROJECTS
There are times when we have a mental picture of how we would like our completed project to look and it turns out completely different. This can be very disheartening. I remember spending hours on a watercolor painting or on a dried flower arrangement all to have it look nothing like I had in mind! When this happens, I completely switch gears, grab a cup of coffee or iced tea, and find a quiet place to sit (usually on my front porch). It’s natural to feel some discouragement and disappointment. You are not alone! The only advice I can offer you when this happens is to not give up! Try again later when your mind is clear and you feel refreshed. ALL of us botch our projects at times ... it's "par for the course", unfortunately. xo
I HAVE A HARD TIME KNOWING WHEN TO STOP
Have you ever worked diligently on a project and feel so happy with the results but at the last minute decide to add “just one more thing” and then ruin your entire painting, collage, photo, etc? I sure have and it can be so frustrating!
One thing I’ve noticed with artwork that is popular on the web, is that the artist keeps it simple. If you take a look at the work of Hadley Hutton, Irena Sophia, or Little Doodles their illustrations are simple, clean, and fresh. They don’t necessarily stick within the lines or make every detail perfect. It’s very freeing to me as an artist to know that I don’t have to create elaborately detailed paintings like Leonardo DaVinci. I can make “mistakes”. I can color outside the lines. I don't have to dot every "I" and cross every "T". And the funny thing is, it’s possible that others may appreciate our work all the more for it’s imperfections.
It’s o.k. and even permissible to stop working on your project the moment you experience that initial feeling of satisfaction. When you continue to try to improve a piece and to add that finishing touch, there’s a good chance you’ll regret it. ;)

DISCUSSION PROMPT - What is your greatest creative challenge?


To me, the greatest creative challenge is finishing the many projects that I (once) started. I am getting better in doing it by the time, but it still an obstacle!
ReplyDeleteAlthough I feel much more peaceful than some years ago, I am (and I guess I will always be) a real seeker and love to search for new creative incentives ... Let's say I often am the 'victim' of my own enthusiasm for life and art.
wow, I love this post and I don't really know where to start, is like you are talking to me like you really know me!
ReplyDeleteI am going to be brave here and say my greatest challenge right now is lack of self confidence and that definitely what is keeping me stuck but I know once I pass this stage in my life I am going to be able take the steps to keep going and going. In some of my creative projects I just need that big push... (maybe this e-course is one step)
I used to be so good at what I did an sometimes I wonder where is that person? how can I find her again?
Cristina
I really hope you find the courage to be creative again, by taking little babysteps ... The world is missing your talent and I really would like to see some of your creations Cristina! I know for sure, once you get started, it will make you feel better again and help you to gain self confidence again. On my creativity calendar for today is written this quote: 'Starting something is the best way to finish something.' It helped me to finish one of my projects today and it's my deepest wish it could help you to start one.
DeleteHi Cristina, it makes me so happy to know that this lesson helped you. :) I can relate to putting my creativity on the back shelf when my kids' were younger. You're one step ahead of me in that you're sicking to be creative while they're still small. Good for you!!
DeleteI love Cococita's quote and think I'll hang it on my wall, too. :-)
thanks Cococita,
ReplyDeleteI love it, I have to put it on my wall: "Starting something is the best way to finish something"