Pages

Feb 3, 2013

Welcome to Raining Umbrellas!

Umbrella print is by Matte Stevens

Good morning! I'm so excited to have you here and to share the next four weeks with you!!  Although I’d love to dive right into teaching a lesson today, I think for this first class it’s important that I fill you in on all of the tiny (and hopefully not too boring) details of the Raining Umbrellas blog so that you can easily maneuver your way around. This introductory post won't include specifics about the lessons, assignments, or materials needed. Hopefully by now, you've received my e-mail with the course syllabus which covers these topics. If not, please send me an e-mail (matissecolor@gmail.com) and I'll get one sent to you today!

To start off I wanted to introduce you to a former student, artist, writer and friend of mine.  Her name is Cococita and I've asked her to come along side me as a Guest Moderator for the duration of the course.  Cococita was one of my most enthusiastic and inspiring students!  She always had a kind word for everyone and is a true example of what it means to live a creative life and to follow your heart.  You can find her lovely  blog HERE, her Flickr photostream HERE, and her contributions to The Sketchbook Project HERE.  I think you'll be encouraged by her positive upbeat attitude, her passion for art and life, and by her appreciation of simple beauty.  Thanks so much for being here with us, Cococita!  xo

Here are a few things you might want to know about this course:

LESSONS

Lessons will be posted bright and early (9 o’clock a.m. Pacific time) on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. You’ll be able to access the e-course blog 24 hours a day at your convenience! The course will run for 4 consecutive weeks and the Raining Umbrellas blog will be available to you for two weeks following the final lesson.

There will be a total of four blog posts per day. The first post of each day will be the actual lesson. I'll be sharing from my own experiences and there will also be a few guests here to tell you things they've learned along the way.

For the second post of each day, I’ll introduce you to the work of a talented artist, designer, or photographer. I've written a short bio. about each, and in your own free time you can follow the links I've given to learn even more about the artist and their work! The second post of each day is meant to be a "beauty break". After my long-winded lessons, I thought it would be nice to let you relax and observe the work of other creative women. :)

The third post of the day (and the one I’m most excited about!) will be an artist interview (12 in all). All of the artists answered the same six questions and I know you're going to be so inspired by their unique perspectives!

And, for the last post of each day, you'll find your assignments, creative exercises, and the day's discussion question.

WEEKLY THEMES

Each week we will have a new theme. They are as follows:

Week 1 ~ Originality
Week 2 ~ A Creative Life
Week 3 ~ Overcoming Obstacles
Week 4 ~ Promoting Your Work Online

ASSIGNMENTS and CREATIVE EXERCISES

Assignments and creative exercises are completely optional, but I encourage you to take part in as many as you can. There will be four assignments in all (one per week) which I'll post each Monday. You'll also be given the option to complete a creative exercise each day based on a theme word.

If you'd like feedback from me and from other students, I recommend taking pictures of your finished projects and posting them on your blog. If you have a Flickr account this would work well, too! After you post a photo of your completed assignment or creative exercise, leave a link for other students to follow in the comments section below the "Assignment and Creative Exercise" post. I'm sure you know this, but please make sure that all of your comments for other students are positive and uplifting. :)

* Just in case you don't have a blog and would like to take photos and post them for other students to see, you can set up a very simple blog on Blogger.com or open up a Flickr account and upload your photos there.

DISCUSSIONS

Every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday I'll post a DISCUSSION PROMPT at the end of the day's lesson. I hope you'll be very involved in the discussions because it's one of the most rewarding parts of the course. It's so fun to get to know other women from around the world and to glean from their ideas and experiences!

For today's DISCUSSION PROMPT I've asked you to tell us a little about yourself. If you include a link to your blog or Flickr account I'll be sure and add it to the right sidebar under "Student Websites".

COMMENTING

Feel free to comment on any blog post/lesson (I highly encourage it!) by clicking on "comments" at the end of each lesson.  If you would like to read other students' comments without having to visit the e-course website, just click on "subscribe to comments" at the bottom right corner of the comments box.  :)

RESOURCES/INSPIRATION

If you look at the right sidebar of this e-course page, you’ll find a list of resources and inspirational links. These are many of my "go to" resources and websites, but I know there are many more that can be added to the list. This is where YOU come in! If have any suggestions for resources and/or inspirational websites, feel free to post them in the discussion areas. If I think they’re a fit for the course, I’ll be sure and link to them. :)

KEEPING IN TOUCH

And lastly, feel free to contact me at any time throughout the course with your questions or concerns by sending me an e-mail at matissecolor@gmail.com I want everyone to feel comfortable and at home while taking part in Raining Umbrellas. If you ever feel lost or have any questions, just shoot me an e-mail or post your question in the comments section!

Here's to an inspiring four weeks together!!! xo

*** IMPORTANT NOTE: Be sure to add Raining Umbrellas to your "favorites bar". Blogger is kind of silly this way ... it won't allow you into the site unless you click on the link in your favorites bar.





DISCUSSION PROMPT: Tell Us a Little about Yourself! Leave a link to your blog or Flickr and I'll post it in the sidebar. Answer all discussion prompts in the comments section below. :)

52 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:05:00 AM

    Hi! I think I'll go first. :)

    My name is Vicki and I have the blog, Simply Hue. I love with my husband in Kirkland, WA. in a tiny condo near Lake Washington. I have three grown children (the last just left the nest a little over a year ago) and am still adjusting to not having them around. Having creative outlets has really helped with the adjustment!

    I love photography, drawing with pen and ink, water color painting (still honing my skills), and collage. I enjoy horses, love nature, and can't go a day without chocolate or coffee.

    There's just a little about me. Looking forward to reading about YOU! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephanie Dahlsrud7:36:00 PM

      I think coffee is a must for those living in the Seattle area! :) There are a few in this group, at the end of the class we should do a meet up.

      Delete
    2. Anonymous7:44:00 PM

      I love that idea, Stephanie! Let's plan on it. :-)

      Delete
    3. Oh!! That would be so fun!

      Delete
  2. Anonymous9:21:00 AM

    I meant to say that I "live" with my husband in Kirkland, but I guess I "love" with him in Kirkland works, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello everyone! So excited to be part of this course again. Can't wait to getting to know each and every one of you better throughout this adventure, as that's what Raining Umbrellas is.

    First of all, thank you so much, dear Vicki, for introducing me and for giving me the chance to be here, together with you. I will never forget the moment that my lovely Portuguese friend treated me with your course as a birthday present: this one month's journey was really life-changing and until the day of today I am very grateful for that -and I will be, forever.

    Some little facts about me that you might want to know: I just turned 33, live together with my dearest in a charming town in a little European country, called Belgium. Photography and writing are my biggest actual passions: as a teenager I always wanted to become a professional musician. I am exploring the world of drawing and painting and do have some knitting projects too.

    Things that I love: books (couldn't live without them), scarves (I have plenty of them as they are a lovely way to accessorize), interior decoration (the decorating in se and magazines about it), candles (no day passes without), nature and light (my muses), traveling (it always gives me new inspiration), people (fascinated by their lives and their stories: could spend hours in a café while observing them) ...

    Looking forward to reading your introductions ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephanie Dahlsrud7:43:00 PM

      Have you always lived in Belgium? I have always wanted to travel around Europe. You wanted to be a musician, do you have a favorite instrument you like to play?

      Delete
    2. Hi Stephanie, I am very pleased to meet you! And yes, I always have ... Although I have spent quite some time in the UK as my dearest (who is born in Belgium too) used to live there in the beginning of our relationship and now, we quite often spend time in the south of France as he is working there part time. If you'd ever plan to come to Europe, please let me know! :)
      I play the recorder (in fact, all sorts and heights of them), can play some pieces on the piano (only at a very basic level, some works by Bach, some by Czerny etc.) and I'd love to learn to play the cello.

      Delete
    3. I hear the South of France is amazing and gorgeous. My husband thinks it's just the place for me. I don't know how you think of America, but I know a lot of creative people dream to live in Europe as it is so full of history, beautiful architecture, culture and many more things. I have in-laws that live in Slovakia so I'm lucky enough to have an excuse to visit.

      Delete
    4. It's a real bless to live here Annetta! We are such a small continent but there is so much to see and the most spectacular cities are only some hours by plane or by train away (yes, my heart goes out to nature ;)). Such a lovely coincidence: my sister-in-law (still) lives in Slovakia as well. Would love to visit her one day in her home country: hope it will happen this year as it would be my very first visit to that part of Europe. It looks so beautiful out there and I'd love to get to know more about its culture.

      Delete
    5. *Slovenia: misty mind because of a midwinter flu mixed up my 'memory' ;)

      Delete
  4. Anonymous9:55:00 AM

    Hi there, Cococita ... I'm so happy and honored to have you here for another session of Raining Umbrellas!!!

    I didn't realize that you like candles. I do, too! I always have to have some pretty scent filtering throughout the house and I love the soft romantic light they give off. I also love to decorate (how could I forget that one)!

    Take care of that cold and pop in when you feel up to it, dear friend. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Everyone! My name is Annetta Bosakova. Something people don't know about my name is I'm really Annetta Bosak, but go by Bosakova as it's my artistic name. In America they won't let you change your name traditionally so I'm legally stuck with Bosak. Hope that makes sense :0).

    I live in Washington state, close enough to have lunch with the awesome Vicki! I'm an inspirational photographer and blogger at Inspired By Annetta Bosakova (http://www.annettabosakova.com/apps/blog). I also have a personal blog as well.

    I'm a regular contributor to the online magazine called Gatherings and I've contributed to other magazines as well including Artful Blogging. My whole dream is to inspire people and share with them a little piece of what makes me happy and keeps me happy.

    My husband and I have a son nicknamed Toddler (it will change soon). My mother and brother currently live with us so we have a busy and full house. I just turned 29 last month, but I feel like I'm just a smart 22 year old. I'm all about inspiration and creativity.

    Excited to meet you all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Annetta! So sorry I didn't reply sooner. I'm having an issue with my blogs and e-mails today ... of course this happens on the first day of class. lol.

      Thank you for sharing about yourself. You are so talented and so full of life and creativity! I'll get your blog link up now. :)

      Delete
    2. Hi Annetta!

      I know I've not had the chance to tell you but your photography and setting are just stunning! The way you stage things and make it look so very light and natural is very inspiring to me. I'm so very glad we got the chance to meet up!

      Delete
    3. Stephanie Dahlsrud7:45:00 PM

      Annetta! My friend, I am happy you introduced me to this class. Wouldn't it be nice to BE 22 again?! ;)

      Delete
    4. Hi Annetta, so lovely to meet you! I had a little look at your blog already (plan to explore it further) and it looks so nice! So you are the fabulous woman with whom Vicki had lunch only recently ... :) I love how you describe your dream: a beautiful mission as happiness is contagious (at least that's my vision ;)) I can relate to what you say about age: I feel younger now, in my early thirties, than I did at the age of -let's say- 10 as life taught me some lessons through which I learnt to be my authentic -creative- self :) One is never too old to play ...

      Delete
    5. I wish there way a way to reply to a reply, lol.

      @Vicki, thank you dear! I keep eyeing your photos through this course and am just in love by their beauty. Can't wait to hang up your beautiful gift on my studio walls! Thank you for them, again!

      @Keri I am happy we did too! Next time you're in town we'll have to have a mini photography workshop as last time you taught me intro to sewing and I'll teach you my tricks of the trade.

      @Stephanie, EEP! So happy to have you in this class with me! We need to go out on a monday, wednesday or friday to do a whole class together side by side. I now have a desk long enough to fit the both of us! It would be nice to be 22 again, but kinda not as the same time as I see your like me, we get better, smarter and prettier with time!

      @Cococita, thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving your beautiful comments. I feel like we will all have never ending conversations :0). Yes, I was blessed enough to have had a lunch date with Vicki. The sad part about us all being so far away is we just can't meet up at the end over coffee and deserts. So happy you know exactly what I'm talking about when it comes to age!

      Delete
  6. Morning, ya’ll as my southern sisters would say. My name is Keri. I’m a 40 year old scandinavian descendant who talks, sews, shoots photos and works on her laptop entirely too much. My family and I have temporarily transferred from Seattle to Bozeman, Montana, where I wake up to the most extraordinary mountain views your camera lenses will ever fix their focal length to. I’m currently a support spouse for my disabled/PTSD Army veteran husband, who is at university now working towards a Geography/GIS degree. Warrior Husband claims that I’m 1 yard of fabric away from being on TLC’s “Hoarder's.” I think this is the part where I stand up and say, “Hi. I’m Keri, and I have a fabric addiction.”

    Art and science have been a part of my life from moment I took my first breath. I’m striving to find an alluring balance of both; life can’t happen without either. I currently trying to learn to blog on http://www.thequiltedvalkyrie.com where I’m working on blending my passions for sewing, quilting, photography and geekery. I’m also a sucker for playing on Instagram (thequiltedvalkyrie).

    Strange by interesting facts about me: I worked for NASA in college and chased tornadoes with the local university. I hold Level 2 high power rockery certification and I’m only 1 of 3 women to do so in the state of Washington. I. Love. Color. I don’t have a favorite as there is beauty in every single one. I received my first camera, a SLR in 1984 and was working in the dark room 6 months later; I just got a DSLR a few years ago and I’m hopelessly lost with it. I have a horrible fear of cutting into beautiful fabrics as I’m afraid I’ll mess up the design, but that doesn’t stop me in the end. Light inspires me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keri, you are such a fascinating person! It was so fun reading about you. I want to know more about your certification in power rockery.

      I'm really looking forward to getting to know you better over the next few weeks. Thanks for sharing! :)

      Delete
    2. Did I ever tell you Keri that you have a gorgeous blog and it's so unique too! I always love hearing more about you and learning more!

      Delete
    3. Stephanie Dahlsrud4:52:00 PM

      NASA and chased tornadoes, that's pretty hardcore, I am slightly intimidated! But I completely understand your fear of not wanting to cut fabric, I am the same, I don't want to mess it up. I'm glad that fear doesn't stop you from creating though.

      Delete
    4. Anonymous4:56:00 PM

      Keri, I forgot to mention that I would seriously LOVE to chase tornadoes. Wish we had some more powerful weather up here in Seattle!! Bring some with you when you move back. ;)

      Delete
    5. Sorry Vicki, no tornados here in Montana! Just like WA the mountains get in the way. In Seattle's case it's the water.

      Stephanie, it was/is! Right now I'm volunteering with my adopted Dad with a group called The Glenda Project where we launch rockets into the tornadoes so we can gather real time data. The summer of 2014, I will get go "home" to Alabama and run that gear for the summer.

      So, in other words, not a very artistic looking type of thing to do. Gotta find that happy medium!

      Delete
    6. Hi Keri, so happy to be here on this journey with you. Your introduction made me laugh as I am also 'famous' for my talking, photography and laptop love.
      My dearest is a scientist (physicist), so I am quite familiar with the geeky parts of life. He studied photography too ... so our home and our relationship are like a marriage of art (I studied literature and cultural studies) and science as well. Not that I understand the projects he is working on, although it's quite interesting and could be very crucial for the future of our planet (as he is working for ITER -http://www.iter.org/. Maybe you know this organisation?

      I love the mountains too: really my favourite sort of landscape, but I have to travel to other European countries to enjoy their beauty, which I try to do as often as possible :)

      Light is a wonderful muse, isn't it?

      Delete
  7. Bette Anderson7:42:00 PM

    Hi everyone, my name is Bette. I live in Abilene, Texas and work in an office for a group of mechanical and electrical engineers. I'm single, my dad lives nearby and the rest of my family is scattered around the country.

    Some of my interests are travel, photography, tennis and quilting. I'm going to a quilt show in Austin, Texas in about 2 weeks called QUILTCON by Modern Quilt Guild.

    I love the photography in Artful Blogging Magazine and Somerset Life and that's where I discovered Vicki's blog.

    I'd like to open up a shop on Etsy sometime this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous7:53:00 PM

      Hi Bette!

      Thanks for introducing yourself. It looks like we have a couple of quilters in this class. I always admire women who can sew and hope to make a quilt of my own some day.

      I'd love to see some of your photography! It sounds like it's a main interest of yours.

      Opening an Etsy shop is a great goal. Please let me know if you need any suggestions when you get started. :)

      Delete
    2. Hi Bette!

      OK first, I am SO jealous you get to go to QuiltCon! I'm planning on going next year and would love to meet up with you should you go! That is a huge squee factor in my book!

      I'd love to see a show and tell of your work! it's wonderful to meet up with another quilter!

      Delete
    3. Bette Anderson4:52:00 PM

      Thanks Keri,

      Nice to meet you. I'll try and post some pictures of the show on my Flickr account. I'd love to see some of your work too. I think I'll probably end up on the same episode of "Hoarders" as you.

      Delete
    4. Stephanie Dahlsrud4:55:00 PM

      What kind of an Etsy shop do you plan to open? Quilting, photography? I just registered too, but am not officially open yet.

      Delete
    5. Bette Anderson7:28:00 PM

      Some kind of sewing. I've been making some journal covers. I'm just a beginner at photography, so right now I'm trying to learn to take good product photos. Good luck with your shop, I hope you have fun with it.

      Delete
    6. Hi Bette! Welcome to Raining Umbrellas. I am always fascinated by people who love to quilt. Wondering if your love for traveling influences the way you work with fabric ... Do you often treat yourself with new fabrics abroad?

      Your journal covers make me really curious as I couldn't live without my notebooks (another addiction, I admit :))

      I am quite sure you will enjoy your photography adventure: good luck! Having a close look at Etsy shops can be very inspiring: you could make lists for yourself with the things you love and the things you don't like in other people's photography. By doing this, your photography eye will be very pleased as it's one of the best ways to really learn to 'see'. Can't wait to discover your work!

      As so many of you seem to be quilters, I'd love to share Silvia's blog with you. She was with me in the very first edition of Raining Umbrellas and I guess you'll love her creations: http://silvialagataconbotas.blogspot.be/ Extra inspiration can be found in the section: Blogs I <3 in her blog menu ... :)

      Delete
    7. Bette Anderson4:49:00 AM

      Hi Cococita, Thank you, I'd love to look at her blog. Yes, traveling has influenced my work. I fell in love with all-things-French a few years ago quite unexpectedly and haven't been able to get it out of my head since. And while everyone else is looking at the painted ceilings in the palaces and museums, I have a lot of photos of the floors, so many of them look just like quilt patterns. Thank you for the advise on the Etsy photography, and I really enjoyed reading your introduction. I see you are a kniitter. For a Christmas present this year, my niece got me some crochet hooks and taught me to crochet. I have a long way to go on that.

      Delete
    8. Floor designs, there are so many of them and indeed, almost no one looks at them, although they can be so inspiring! This could be a great idea for a blog concept :)
      Well, honestly, I am not a brilliant knitter, just have some little projects. As a child, I loved to make (knit) clothes for my dolls with the help of my grandmother and I was rather good at it (and loved to crochet as well) but nowadays, I am more like trying new sorts of yarns and experimenting in making home decoration accessories. Not quite impressive, but sometimes, I just love to knit as it's so relaxing and at least, you get to see some result after quite a short time. Good luck with your crochet hooks: step by step, everything is possible! :)

      Delete
    9. Bette, you make journal covers?! Ohhh!! I would love to see some! I'm addicted to all things journals. I currently have like 20 of them lined up and half not even touched yet. What's your link to your flickr account? I'd love to add you to my contacts.

      Delete
    10. Hi again, Bette. :) Just curious if you have a blog? If you, would you mind leaving the link and I'll post it soon? xo

      Delete
    11. Bette Anderson8:24:00 PM

      Annetta and Vicki, I don't have a blog but my Flikr account is http://www.flickr.com/photos/bettephotos/

      I'm going to sit down this weekend and look at everyone's blogs and projects. I'm kind of slow. I put a journal and a quilt and some fun photos on flickr tonight. Thanks for all the comments.

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi everyone,
    My name is Juli. I am 45 years old and I live in the western suburbs of Chicago. For as long as I can remember being creative has been a huge part of what makes me feel alive. I am currently finishing a degree in photography, though I have taken this semester off. I also sew, do multiple types of needlework, draw and paint (not well), paper crafts, and anything else that tickles my creative urges. I love to read, travel, and listen to music, also often with a candle going.

    I have been a homeschooling mom for the last 14 years. Our family motto is "live an extraordinary life" and this has guided our family time together. My son, the last at home, will be done in two and a half years. With my daughters gone, I am starting to have time to explore my extraordinary life again.

    Fun things about me include- My college degree is in medieval history. I worked as a seamstress for many years making theater costumes, wedding dresses, and competitive figure skating dresses. Last year someone offered us a retired race horse and we just took him totally on a whim. My husband and I both had put on a lifetime wish list two weeks earlier that we had always wanted to own a horse and bingo, he arrived! 'Lil Red, the grandson of Secretariat, has become a wonderful member of our family and the best whim decision we have made in years. There is something incredibly peaceful and loving hanging around horses all the time.

    I am really exited to get creative with you all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Juli!

      The spelling of your name is beautiful! I love that! I lived in northern Chicago for a few years and really enjoyed the time up there, even in February on the Ell!

      Your 'Lil Red sounds divine! Are you doing any jumping or showing with him?

      Delete
    2. Stephanie Dahlsrud5:03:00 PM

      I plan on homeschooling my girls too, did you find it hard to have creative time for yourself while being so involved in teaching your kids? I am finally branching out into my creativeness, and I am afraid that I will stop when it comes time for school.

      To take on a horse on just a whim, how amazing. Did you already have land for him?

      Delete
    3. Hi Juli

      So pleased to meet you here. Looks like we have quite some things in common. Can't wait to explore your creative work.

      I really admire people who homeschool their children. On the other hand, I guess it's quite lovely to experience to have some more exclusive time for yourself and your creativity again.

      Your curriculum sounds so fascinating: would love to see some of your creations from the period your worked as a seamstress as going to the theatre is one of my passions, especially because of the scenery and the costumes.

      I hope this course will be an extraordinary experience for you! :)

      Delete
    4. Hey, Juli...do you happen to have a blog? If you do, let me know and I'll put the link up under "student websites". :)

      Delete
  10. Anonymous9:38:00 PM

    Hi Juli, nice to meet you! You also sound like such a creative person! I love you family's motto about living an extraordinary life... what a great phrase to live by.

    I'm a huge horse lover so congratulations ... so happy for you! Looking forward to getting to know you, Juli. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stephanie Dahlsrud11:22:00 PM

    **Sorry for posting so late-been dealing with 2 sick babies on top of being sick myself. I am lucky at this point, I was even able to post at all.**

    My name is Stephanie. I am married with two girls turning 4 and 1 next month. I live in the Tacoma area in Washington State, just south of Seattle. I have lived in WA my whole life, but I love to travel, I want to go everywhere!

    I have a strange obsession with office supplies and owls and teapots are my current loves. I was the first person in my family after my great grandparents to graduate from high school.

    I knew I wanted to be a photographer when I was in the eighth grade. I wanted to shoot for National Geographic. I finally followed my heart and became a photographer a few years ago, I am nowhere close to shooting for National Geographic, but I am still learning and improving. (It’s a slow process) my blog is: http://stephaniedahlsrudphotography.blogspot.com/

    While photography is my biggest passion, I also like to sew, paint, scrapbook, bake…. I love to be creative; I just don’t feel I am very good at any of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stephanie! Welcome to this community of creative women. First of all: I hope you and your little girls feel better now ... Take good care! The reason why I am only replying now is that I am under the weather with the flu, so I know how it feels ...
      Your introduction and especially the part about your love for office supplies, teapots and photography made me so curious that I had a look at your blog immediately :) The masking tape in your banner and your side menu made me smile: exactly the same is lying here, next to me, next to one of my favourite and most recently bought teapots ;)
      I truly hope your photography dream will come true, one day! Make sure you keep us posted!

      Delete
    2. Oh Stephanie! You are such a talent! Once you do more of it and everyday you'll start seeing it. I was there too and hey, you make me jealous too :0P, you can bust out some awesomeness my friend! Toddler and I are getting better as well and I keep thinking about you and how you have not one, but two littles ones to care for! What a hero you are! If it was summer i'd call for a day off at the park!

      Delete
  12. Anonymous5:00:00 PM

    Hi Stephanie! I wrote you a long comment earlier today when I was at the dentist's office and the whole thing got erased. I didn't want you to think I'd forgotten you. ;)

    I think it's so impressive that you were the first in your family to finish high school ... that's something to be so proud of!

    I'm glad you're a part of Raining Umbrellas. I have a feeling you're more creative than you think. Looking forward to getting to know you over the next few weeks!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous12:06:00 PM

    Hello everyone!
    I am a little bit late, I just discover Raining Umbrellas and I was very curious and wanted to be part of it. Thanks Vicki for letting me join you even thought you had already started.
    I need a little (a big I most say) push to overcome fears and follow my creative dreams.
    I am a textile designer, originally from Mexico living in Canada for the last 13 years (where is too cold at at the moment) I have always love home textiles and ceramics and that is really my passion. I worked for companies for many years and now I really want to do my own thing. I love photography and even thought I have taken several curses sinse I was in high school I am still figuring out how to express myself with photography. I will love to do a master's in art history and I want to try painting and drawing because for the last so many years I have been using only the computer. I don't have a blog and I admired bloggers, I am still a bit self conscious and haven't really dare to start with one. But I am sure soon is going to happen.
    I have two daughters, 5 and 3 and after we moved to a different city I find my self struggling to find my own path and connect with people with whom I can share the same interests.

    Nice meeting you all and looking forward to these 4 weeks of inspiration

    Cristina
    (sorry I have to comments as Anonymous as i don't have a profile...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cristina, welcome!!! Thank you for sharing your background with us. Wow, you have accomplished so much creatively! I'm looking forward to learning more about you over the next few weeks. We have such similar interests. :)

      Have a lovely new day and please send me an e-mail if you have any questions: vickidvorak5@gmail.com

      Delete
    2. Hola Cristina y bienvenida! I am so happy that you are part of this little creative tribe now! Ooow, you must feel so cold right now in Canada as the climate in your home country is so different from the one up in the north. I hope you brought some original Mexican textiles with you when you moved, so that at least, you could warm your heart ... :) This introduction of yours makes me so curious as I am fascinated by all the things you are sharing here with us. Mexico is on my wishlist as I am a big fan of Kahlo's work (and plan to go to an expo in Paris in autumn) and a master in history is something I still want to achieve as well, although I got one in Cultural Studies but I only had 2 hours a week for one semester. Fortunately, there are so many expositions and art books to still our hunger. From the moment that you'd start a blog, please let us know ... I am pretty sure you'll love this creative adventure!
      Abrazo

      Delete
    3. *art history ;), history in se wasn't really my favourite course neither at secondary school nor at uni.

      Delete

Thank you for being involved in the discussion area! Each comment you leave is valuable and appreciated. :)