Pages

Feb 11, 2013

A Creative Life


THIS WEEK'S THEME IS "A CREATIVE LIFE"

Good morning! How was your weekend? Hope you were able to get refreshed for the week ahead and that you even found a few minutes to be creative.  Are you ready to get started?

I'm really excited about today's lesson! I love talking about interior design and find that, with our move to a new home in August 2011, I'm still needing some inspiration on how to put together a small studio on a budget. In our new home I have a tiny office space connected to our bedroom. It isn't anything huge and impressive, but I'm determined to make it a cozy, inspiring place to create. Before we can feel motivated to be creative, I think it's important that we have a spot in our home that's all ours, even if it's just a small nook or a corner of our bedroom.

I've asked two of my dear friends to share a few ideas with you. The first is Mary Jo Matsumoto from Trust Your Style! Mary Jo is a fashion designer whose luxury products include handbags, fine jewelry, and couture separates, dresses, and gowns. Her designs have been worn by Angelina Jolie, Robin Wright Penn, and Mary Hart and have also appeared on Oprah, Extra, and the Oscars. Many of her designs have also been featured in such well-known magazines as InStyle, Victoria, Weddings, and Modern Bride.

Employing state-of-the-art technology to fuse contemporary art with intricate high fashion, Mary Jo recently used the work of five contemporary artists to create five couture looks for a Steven Cohen gallery exhibit called "Works on Couture". This exhibition beautifully showcases the creative relationship between art and fashion.

Mary Jo is a talented designer with a big heart. Here are a few of her ideas on creating an art studio/workspace on a limited budget!


Tell us a little bit about your studio/craft room.

I'm in the process of moving to a new space in downtown Los Angeles, but currently I use 3 spaces for work and envy anyone who can keep it to one! While most of my home is sparsely furnished, my work area is the one place where I'm a complete maximalist (as you can see from my desk and inspiration board). My office has a closet that was converted to shelving and I keep all of my business paperwork and hardware for my handbags organized in this space. I also have a small work table and another shelving unit for fashion books, notions, and immediate samples. On the other side of the wall I have my father's dark wood and leather covered desk he had shipped home from a trip to Italy. It's so masculine and doesn't go with any of my decor, but he used this as his home office desk, and I have so many memories of him using it that it means the world to me! I always think that when I run my hands over the wood and leather I can still feel his pulse. I do everything from bill-paying to day-dreaming at this desk. I also keep a big inspiration board above the desk and it changes depending on what I'm working on.

My second space is more industrial. with closets full of leather and fabric, and a giant cutting table. I keep all of my couture line that's made from delicate fabrics bagged and hanging on a big clothing rack in the cat-free guest room.


What, in your opinion, is an absolute necessity when designing a studio/craft room?

A nice desk or work table and an inspiration board. If you have these 2 things you have a work space! I also think it's important to surround yourself with things that reflect your personality--your true self, not a magazine concept of an artsy person. It may sound corny, but I think it's less important to worry about whether your work space is a fit for Elle Decor, and just concentrate on making a very personal space that's going to be more creatively productive.

What affordable ideas would you recommend for those of us living on a tight budget?

1) You can make a great inspiration board yourself. Buying a giant bulletin board decorated with a fancy frame can set you back hundreds of dollars. I had an extra white poster frame that I wasn't using and bought a few rolls of cork. I used Liquid Nails to attach the cork to the back piece of the poster frame (thin board from Home Depot will work just as well) and then I covered the cork board with gray ultra suede using a regular stapler. Voila--an easy inspiration board for my gray and white work room.


2) If you're more of a chalk board/idea person and have the room, I love the idea of using a big piece of board or mdf and painting it with black chalk board paint. Lean it up against the wall and with a couple of doodles on it, it doubles as art. Talk about going back to the drawing board--when you're tired of it or have new ideas, all you have to do is wipe it down and start over!


3) Paint is a great equalizer. You can personalize a generic/cheap work table and or work stool by painting it a complimentary color for your work room.


4) The flea market is a haven for great looking but affordable studio finds. Big wire baskets to use for storage, waste bins, etc that are all the rage (and run $100+ in the store) can be picked up for about $25 at the flea. If you really scout around and check out places like Craigslist, etc. you can also find great prices on industrial desks, shelves, and task lighting.


5) If you have the wall space, a long weathered board can be attached to the wall and used as a desk big enough for two, plus it adds so much character to the room!


Thanks for all of the great tips, Mary Jo. I especially love the chalkboard and inspiration board ideas!

Next up is my sweet friend, Jeanette Lunde, from Fryd Design to share a few of her ideas! The photos below are of her newly built studio. Read on to learn more about putting together a studio on a budget.


Tell us a little bit about your studio/craft room

My studio is an open place in top of the stairs with lots of natural light and bright with walls. One wall is all shelves filled with creative books, paper & sweet treasures. Things that I believe in, not sure were to use. But I know that I one day will find them handy. I love my desk; an old dining table from my neighbor and the old school chair from the local fleemarket.

What, in your opinion, is an absolute necessity when designing a studio/craft room?

Shelves and boxes to sort out all your stuff and tools. I find it hard to work if I can not find my stuff when I need it.

What affordable ideas would you recommend for those of us living on a tight budget?

Furniture; go second hand when it comes to furniture. If you find it hard to match; use some paint and play with colors. When I buy art I buy it on Etsy, but I guess everyone knows about that place! If you want inspiration and find buying magazines expensive, check out Issuu.com. I always find inspiration here.

And the last one; be your self and be true to your heart. That way someone will find you special and you will feel rich.

Thanks, Jeanette! Love your thoughts about feeling "rich" by being true to your heart. :)




DISCUSSION PROMPT - What would your ideal craft room look like?

27 comments:

  1. First of all, happy Monday to everyone! Wishing you a creative and colourful week ahead, filled with inspiration and serendipity! :)

    Well, I do have the ideal one but since I have it, I tend to work always in the living room. I guess the reason is that it's winter and really grey and dark in my part of the world: during summer I used to paint and create a lot more in my studio because the blue sky really inspired me. Now I really need the light and comfiness of our living room. Will try to share some photos asap :)

    Important for me are: (as I mentioned already) light (because it's one my muses), plenty of space, books, a wooden floor (link with nature and because of its warm feeling), a chair, big walls, my craft materials, colour, the allowance to leave it messy when I am working on a project (which is almost always ;)), something to play music on (a stereo and at least one of my recorders), loads of little lights to create the atmospere that I need for a certain project, tea facilities ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I was reading your comment kept on saying Yes, yes, yes to everything! Agree with being inspired by light and the hardwood floors and so much more! I cant' wait to see your gorgeous space!

      Delete
    2. I think light is SOOOOO important too. I don't understand people who like it dark. I feel once the sun goes down, I cant do any more, my creative motivation-or regular get the house clean motivation fades with the darkness. I agree with everything you said!

      Delete
  2. Anonymous9:49:00 AM

    Hello everyone,
    I agree, for me light is the most important thing too, then white walls and a big desk, then inspiration, colours and pattern will look good. I have a little obsession with boxes, I love them because they are decorative and also practical, so everything has a place to go. Right now my work area is not the ideal. But next summer we will be moving to a new space and I am already dreaming about all the things I am going to do to the space!!!

    Cristina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We went to a new place as well last summer and I felt really excited: I guess you are feeling the same right now :) Making a mood board or a vision board could be a great activity now, as it's a lovely tool to envision your dreams and/or how you want your future studio look like ... Counting the months together Cristina: it will be a relief to have this new space of your own!

      Delete
    2. Just skimmed through todays lesson and boy I cannot wait till Toddler's nap time!

      Delete
    3. Oh Cristina that sounds like the greatest thing, you moving and having a new space! I am so happy for you! How wonderful it is to have an obsession with boxes, everything has a place and boxes add great character to a room, I have a couple and they help! Thinking about it, it's rare that people have a true dream studio or space of their dreams. I believe its all how you make it because if you put your whole heart into it than it will be a space someone else only dreams of. Does that make sense?

      Delete
    4. Hi Cristina, so nice to see you here today. :) It sounds like "light" is important to all of us! I imagine that your space will look amazing because of your background in textile design and your love for color. Isn't it fun to daydream about how we want things to look? I still have a long ways to go before my little space feels complete, but part of the fun in it is dreaming!

      Delete
    5. YES, boxes and tins, little places for everything to be in its own little home. I have a hard time when things are not in order-it effects how I think and blocks my creativity. I am excited for you to have your new creative space :)

      Delete
  3. I am beyond blessed and thrilled at the moment that I have a real studio space all to myself. For the past 3 months I had outgrown my space upstairs in our living room and started taking over the dining table, my son's little table, and the kitchen counter. This month I discovered that a section of our basement can be separated by a curtain leaving me with the best studio space where I can spread out and do all my work from there. That same weekend I went to Ikea and left with everything one could need for $166 (talk about a small budget!). Now I am working and photographing in my dream studio and am very very happy until I outgrow this space, which won't be that soon. I still have a lot of work to do, but it will forever be evolving.

    Here are a few pictures of it:
    http://www.annettabosakova.com/apps/blog/a-space-of-my-own
    http://instagram.com/p/VnITfKAlHR/ or http://instagram.com/annettab

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Annetta, what a beautiful little space to create! You have such a creative mind and an eye for beauty. Thanks for sharing it with us! xo

      Delete
    2. Vicki, you seriously warm my heart! Thank you for pouring such kind words to all your students!

      Delete
    3. Aww...that makes me happy, Annetta. You are such an encourager yourself! xo

      Delete
    4. I NEED to have you help me put together my space!! ;) Since my house is so wonky, I am having a hard time separating the space. I am desperately on the hunt for a new desk!

      Delete
  4. I've seen photos of your studio, Cococita, and it's just like you've described it ... light, cozy, filled with creative "messes"! I'd love to spend time there creating. :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much dear Vicki! If we'd only live a little bit closer to each other ... :)

      Delete
  5. My "lab" is currently my very own room. For the first time. Ever.
    I love it, but I have a 1.5' x 3' window facing north. So not exactly lots of natural light. I love the fact that I can hang my yardage of fabric up on a curtain rod so I can see the amazing spectrum of color.
    Everything else....yeah, I'm stuck.
    So, I started a Pintrest board to keep finding new ideas to integrate into a rental. Keeping that the whole idea that by rental mean REALLY not doing much to the walls, and that I'm dead broke.
    There is one photo of mine in there. It's my fabric hanging up. The rest is a really, super nice dream.
    http://pinterest.com/quiltedvalkyrie/my-dream-lab/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful ideas: love to see inspiration boards like this one as it says so much about people. I agree with Annetta: having much green and natural inspiration in your studio is really a bless. Seems like you are drawn to flowery designs, colours and a good organization. I hope your dream will come true!

      Delete
    2. Yes, love all those pins (now following you <3) I really like the way you display the fabric, not only functional for you to have access too, but also to decorate your temporary walls with some color.

      Delete
  6. I saw that fabric hanging on the curtain when you posted an instagram image of it, okay LOVE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. For the ones of you who love light, have this particular something with boxes and love to see a glimpse of other artists' studios, here is a photo of Ana Pinta's studio (the fifth one in the interview) along with an interview that could be inspiring as well :): http://ptteam-the-blog.blogspot.pt/2013/02/member-of-month-ana-pina-interview.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. A tip: there are rather many books about artists and their studios and some people share quite a lot info about their work space on their blogs: e.g. the fantastic Sandra Juto: http://sandrajuto.blogspot.be/2012/09/my-studio-space.html, Geninne: http://blogdelanine.blogspot.be/2012/06/studio.html etc. Just google and you'll find plenty of inspiration (if you'd need it, as the descriptions of your ideal studios all sound so fascinating and accurate) Never stop dreaming of the most divine space to create and spend time with and for yourself: one day, it will happen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you as always for the inspiration, Cococita. :) Lovely spaces!! xo

      Delete
  9. Anonymous6:27:00 PM

    I came across this blog and I just had to share her studio with you. Hope you fin it inspiring...
    http://www.anastasiamariecards.com/tour-the-studio/

    Cristina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a pretty space, so clean and organized. LOVED IT!

      Delete
  10. Ooh, I really like this art room, Cristina! There's so much to look at! Thanks for the link. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ideas for my studio space: http://stephaniedahlsrudphotography.blogspot.com/2013/02/studio.html

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being involved in the discussion area! Each comment you leave is valuable and appreciated. :)