Pages

Feb 11, 2013

Featured Artist - Forest Floor


Jeff Friesen is an internationally recognized, award-winning photograher. I'm in love with his sepia colored nature prints.

Here's the story of how Forest Floor prints originated:

"You never know what we’ll find. I spend a lot of time exploring outdoors with my daughter. One autumn day we were sitting amongst fallen chestnut leaves and I was struck by their resemblance to Frank Gehry’s architecture. We gathered some leaves clay and photographed them from a low angle using window light bounced off of tin foil for a metallic effect. In the camera’s viewfinder the fading leaves became *wabi-sabi towers and temples.

I enjoy elevating the modest into the monumental. As Walt Whitman said, “I believe a blade of grass is no less than the journey-work of the stars.”

Wabi-sabi (侘寂) represents a comprehensive Japanese world view or aesthetic, centered on the acceptance of transience. The aesthetic is sometimes described as one of beauty that is "imperfect, impermanent, and incomplete.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for being involved in the discussion area! Each comment you leave is valuable and appreciated. :)