Pages

Feb 25, 2013

Artist Interview - Feather and Branch

Danae's Shop ~ Feather and Branch, Her Blog ~ Feather and Branch...the Blog

I spotted the lovely designs of Danae from Feather and Branch on Etsy and knew I wanted to feature her work! Her style is soft, delicate, and feminine and I'm drawn to the simplicity of her designs.

Here is her inspiring (and humorous) interview!

When did you first know you were an artist?

I've liked to create since I was a little girl, but it was in High School that I realized I wanted to do something creative and definitely open my own shop one day. I loved fashion but I also loved all the elements of "Shabby Chic". I always thought I would be opening a vintage/antique shop (and who knows, maybe one day I still will) but I have found myself making vintage inspired jewelry and housewares instead. I still have a hard time calling myself an "artist", because I always equate that word with someone who can draw or paint, and that is SO not me. :) However, the past year I've finally been able to feel like an artist, in the way that I can take something old and re-make it , or start something from scratch and see a lovely end result. An artist is someone who can create and see things in a different way, and I believe that is me.

Who and/or what inspires your work?

Honestly, my grandmother has been a huge inspiration. She is an amazing seamstress, and to this day, makes some beautiful pieces. I'm nowhere NEAR the seamstress that she is, and I would love to be, but sewing aside, she was always very crafty. From baking and cooking, to making brooches and candles. I get a lot of that from her, and I'm very grateful. Being creative is extremely fulfilling for me, so I've extremely thankful that she could pass that on.
I also gather a lot of inspiration by going to flea markets and antique stores. Scouring the place for antique plates with muted tones, milk glass with scalloped edges and vintage jewelry I can re-make. The feminine colors and beauty these pieces had, deserve to be seen to this day, and I am inspired to make them new again. Each piece has an amazing story to tell, of someone who loved it one time, of people who wore it, or times gone by.


As an artist, what is your biggest challenge?

For me, the biggest challenge is time management. Not only do I run my business full time, but I also work for another company full time, 8 am-5 pm. This other job is necessary right now, because it helps me be financially secure while I'm getting my business off the ground. I find myself day dreaming about Feather & Branch all day though, so my full time job working for someone else, isn't going to last forever. A lot of the time when I get home I'm exhausted and working more is just not appealing. In order to pull myself out of that rut I have to remind myself that I'm doing this for my future, and you have to work hard to make things happen. I am still working on this, but I try to stay organized by keeping a daily planner with me, so I can keep things straight. Whether it's planning what time I'll be going to the gym throughout the week, or working on items to sell at a fair, I can keep it in my handy dandy (Target bought) planner. :)

What do you do to motivate yourself when you are in a creative rut?

It may sound silly, but I get online and check out other peoples shops, sales and blogs and that kicks me into high gear. I find myself saying, "All these other people have lives too, but they are making their dreams happen, get with it Danae!" That usually helps me get creative pretty fast. That is primarily just to get me in the right frame of mind, but I don't always like to LOOK at what other people are making, so that I can come at things with a fresh and original approach. Also, the opposite works quite nicely too. Sometimes leaving the computer behind, stepping away for a hot tea and getting refreshed can really motivate me. I can get away from all the buzz and my eyes straining, and I can look outside at the beautiful colors in the garden, or just be with my family and loved ones. I don't really get motivated by designers or magazines, or anything like that, but every once and awhile I'll find a good craft business book that helps me find my way a little bit better. Hearing where other people have been and where they are now, can be extremely motivating.


What is the one thing you are most proud of about your work?

I think what makes me the most proud is the fact that I decided one day it's one I wanted to do, and I just did it. I never looked back either. I also love what I make and the approach I have taken when it comes to photographing my items and displaying them at shows. My heart is truly in all the pieces and the way I portray them. I'm thankful for just having the opportunity.

What words of wisdom can you offer students?

One thing that I have had to realize is you have to stay consistent. Keep blogging, keep posting new items, or re-posting items that haven't sold yet. Keep getting your name out there, but in a positive way. No one wants to be spammed or feel like you are bombarding them with information on your shop, but you can do it in a way that gets the point across. You can Facebook, Tweet and hold contests for free jewelry (or whatever you make). I also blog, but not just about my shop. About fashion, tutorials and other fun things. That way people can get to really know me, and not just as an artist. Along those lines, you can start a newsletter and send it to the people who have already purchased from you, or shown interest. They can unsubscribe if they want, but if you send out coupons or other fun info a couple of times a month, they would probably be on board. There are so many great things to do, if you learn to go about them the right way.


See you on Wednesday when I'll be posting an informative video with Brittni from Paper-n-Stitch. She'll be sharing how to make contacts and sell your work online. See you then!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for being involved in the discussion area! Each comment you leave is valuable and appreciated. :)