Pages

Feb 8, 2013

Artist Interview Ishtar Olivera

Ishtar's Shop ~ Belart, Istar's Blog ~ Ishtar Olivera, Ishtar's photography is HERE!

If you visit some of the more well-known design blogs, you may have already heard of Ishtar Olivera. She is the sweet lady behind BelArt and her work is seen all over the web. There's something about her playful illustrations and charming creations that make me smile and brighten my day.

Ishtar's interview is so inspiring and heartfelt that I found myself reading it over and over. I hope you gain as much encouragement from it as I did. :)

Enjoy!

When did you first know you were an artist?

I love this question because it takes me back to my childhood; it reminds me of my parents..they both loved to paint and did oh so well each in their own style. They were my first artistic influence. I remember when I was really little, every time me or one of my sisters would paint or do something creative they would shout with joy "you are an artist" and they kept saying that over and over again during my life. But I really didn´t become one until I was 27.

It all happened one day when I went to the children´s library with my own kids, and got so inspired by the beautiful illustrations of the books. I immediately thought I wanted to do that, too! And so I began to practice everyday and got into art classes. :) It was a very special moment in my life because until that happened I was really beginning to worry I wasn´t ever going to find my vocation and felt very frustrated about it. But suddenly it was there! I had found it! And I just knew I did, because my heart would sing with joy every time I got the paintbrushes or flipped through one of those picture books.

Who and/or what inspires your work?

First of all, my two sons. I know every artist who is a mother might say this and that's probably because its true. My first illustrations were about my kids riding dragons and living wondrous adventures through my paintings. That love, that joy, that playfulness, the tenderness I managed to express in my paintings were all because of them , because of the feelings they made me experience as a mother.

Other things that inspire me are COLORS. I love that our world is full of them and NATURE...always the greatest teacher.


As an artist/designer, what is your biggest challenge?

Remaining true to my self. This includes all aspects of life and because I have experienced how directly it affects my creativity. The more true I am, the more connected I become to that uniqueness we all have and the more access I have to that inner source where creativity emerges. Its definitely not an easy task but so much worth to pursuit.

It´s when we become truly capable of creating from the heart, where artists like Van Gogh or Georgia O´keeffe painted from. Their art is a pure and a true expression of their souls. If we are disconnected or disloyal to our true needs, it is unlikely that we will develop our full potential.

What do you do to motivate yourself when you are in a creative rut?

I've learned not to get too obsessed with it and not too push too hard. Inspiration comes and goes. Like the tides of the ocean. Allow it to unfold organically back to you.

Treat your self kindly always, like you would treat your own child. Kindness is an open door to beautiful things.

Be patient and enjoy every moment of the creative process you are immersed in...that includes creative ruts!

Surround yourself with things that you love and inspire you: Music, flowers, a little nap, a good movie, a good meal, a walk. Do these things JUST for fun, not expecting for inspiration to come back to you, but only for the pleasure they give you... as a treat to your self.

One more thing that's VERY important for me is, just as the land rests and other plants are cultivated in rotation in order for them to regenerate, so must we. I find it very crucial for me to alternate my creative activities . I alternate illustrating with sewing, or carving stamps, and now knitting. That way I give natural space for my creativity to breath.


What is the one thing you are most proud of about your work?

I´m definitely most proud that ALL of what I have accomplished or learn I did it on my own! I have been my own art teacher. I have learned by my self how to use such and such paint medium or all the software required (illustrator, photoshop, etc.) to be able to do what I do now. There are certainly no excuses to not pursue our desires and make them happen! We are the ones who set out the limits of what we can or cant do. And it all comes from a true commitment to your self to bring YOU your own happiness.

What words of wisdom can you offer students?

Hold on to your dreams. I believe we are here not only to learn valuable lessons but to fulfill our lives with joy. And this comes from, as the poet Rumi said, "Doing what you love". Not only the self, or the family, but the whole world benefits from a happy fulfilled individual.


Thankyou for an inspiring interview, Ishtar! I am so encouraged by your outlook on life and creativity. :)

So, next weeks theme is "A Creative Life". I'll be talking about putting together a small studio on a budget and photographer/artist, Kim Klassen, will join us via podcast and share her thoughts on living creatively. She'll also share few of her personal struggles and how her creative pursuits have brought meaning into her life.

Have a great weekend, ladies! Be sure and post your project photos on your blog or Flickr and if you'd like feedback from me or from other students you can leave a link in the comments section under this weeks assignment. xo



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for being involved in the discussion area! Each comment you leave is valuable and appreciated. :)