Pages

Feb 15, 2013

Cultivating Creativity - Part 2


Good morning! It's hard to believe it's Friday already. Did you have a good week?

Before we begin today's lesson I wanted to let you know that I'll be gone for a few hours but will check my e-mails and read your comments when I get back. Just didn't want you to think I'd forgotten you. ;)

On to today's lesson! Today we're moving on to part 2 of "Cultivating Creativity".

Here are a few things I've learned on my own creative journey:

DREAM BIG

In the same way that we were dreaming about our ideal studio/craft room for Wednesday's discussion prompt, I'm going to suggest that you DREAM BIG when it comes to the person you want to become creatively. When you envision your future, how do you picture yourself? Who do you want to be? As Kim Klassen shared in her podcast, she began telling herself that one day she would have her work in a particular magazine, lead a class, receive recognition for her work. She envisioned what she would like her future to look like and then began taking steps to make it happen. This is not a hocus pocus type of thing. It's not magic. It's nothing philosophical. It's the simple but repeated choice to move forward in your life and to watch your dreams unfold.

This would be a good place to take out your notebook and ask yourself where you would like to be creatively 5 years, 10 years, even 20 years down the road. What small (or big and bold) steps can you take to pursue these dreams? After I first discovered my passion for photography and noticed that other people were enjoying it, I decided that I would love to see if various magazines and online publications would be interested in featuring my work. I wrote a simple form letter introducing myself and my work and sent it to various editors. Not all of them responded, but I was so thrilled when several of them wanted to feature my photos.

Your dream may not be to be in any fancy publications or to have your name go down in lights. Maybe you simply desire to live a consistently creative life. The same goes as above. Envision the person you want to be creatively and jot down some small steps you can take to get there. You can reach your goals! Through hard work and believing in your dreams, you can do it. I believe in you. :)

BE INSPIRED

What inspires your creativity? Nature? People? Places or events? Stillness? Books? Make it a priority to put yourself in the situations where you gain the most inspiration. I love nature (as you know) and live in a small country town at the foot of the Cascade Mountains. Nothing inspires me more than a country drive or even the view of the foothills from my front porch. It’s inspiring to watch the seasons change from my white Adirondack chair, and many times when I come indoors, I feel renewed and ready to create.

Read inspiring books and visit blogs/websites that delight and motivate you. I could spend hours on Etsy drinking in all of the beauty and inspiration. From there, though, I need to pick up my camera/art supplies and get busy!

Also, you might want to check out library books on the topics that interest you; art & design, artist biographies, photography, or handcrafts. Visit or volunteer at art museums or teach art in your child's classroom. Years ago, I was an art docent in my kids' elementary school and I had such a fun time teaching the kids' about famous artists from the past! Teaching these classes inspired me to offer my own art classes for children at the local parks department (my class was called Peewee Picasso's and I just loved it!).

INSPIRE OTHERS

Lastly, but maybe most importantly, let's use our talents to inspire other people! There are many artists who do just this (look at the right sidebar under the “inspiration” and "giving back"). Their work is not only for their own enjoyment, but they find fulfillment when they can bring meaning out of their art by sharing it with others.

Is there a friend (or even a stranger) you can cheer up by giving a gift of your art? Or, if you have an online shop, can you use a percentage of your sales to benefit a special cause? After the recent tsunami in Japan, many artists put this into practice and I was touched by the out pour of support for the dear people of this nation.

I discovered another passion of mine several years ago. It's an organization that helps kids' in crisis through art therapy programs. It's called Art With Heart. My husband and I volunteer at events, send a monthly support check, and help spread the word about this beautiful outreach.

Do you have a cause that you're passionate about? Do you have a heart for kids, a love for animals, a respect for the environment? In what way could you use your amazing gifts and talents to make a difference? I'd love to hear a few of your ideas in the comments section below! Or, if you'd rather jot a few ideas down in your notebook, that's fine, too.

Oh, on a side note...have you ever read the beautiful children’s story “The Happy Prince” by Oscar Wilde? It has such a heartwarming message about giving, sacrifice, and love. This is one of my all-time favorite classics.

Here’s a brief summary about the book!

"The statue of the Happy Prince looks proudly over the city. A little swallow, on its way to Egypt, rests at the foot of the statue. He soon realizes that the Prince is overwhelmed by sorrow because, from the top of his column, he has discovered all of the misery in the world.

The Prince asks the little bird to become his messenger and carry the statue's gold leaves and precious stones to the poor. Gradually the Prince loses his splendor but regains his happiness."


And you can read the entire story HERE for free! :)




DISCUSSION PROMPT - List 3 of Your Favorite Creative Resources

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for being involved in the discussion area! Each comment you leave is valuable and appreciated. :)