
Cassandra's Shop ~ Double Parlour, Her Website/Blog ~ Double Parlour
Today's interview is with Cassandra from Double Parlour! Cassandra and her husband, Ernie, are an artistic duo living in San Francisco, California. When I first saw their work I knew I wanted to share it with you because it's so unique and different! They describe their pieces as "peculiar" and "humorous" and I'd have to agree. Can I add to that "quirky" and "entertaining"?
Read on to learn what makes this duo tick!
When did you first know you were an artist?
I started drawing early on in life. Around the age of seven, I create a series of crayon drawings of dog breeds. I used photos from the Encyclopedia Britannica as reference to draw the different breeds. My parents hung the series on the living room walls. My first art show! I think it was around that age that I took creating art seriously.
Who and/or what inspires your work?
The million dollar question....I find inspiration from natural science, architecture, decay, antiques, and old movies (the random comments in them). Some of my favorite artists are Robert Vickery, Josh Keyes, Eva Hesse, Margaret Kilgallan....and too many more too name. Luckily, living in San Francisco, there is always great art to see at galleries or museums.

As an artist, what is your biggest challenge?
My biggest challenge is finding the time to create. There is just not enough time in the day. I work a full-time job at a hospital, so I work on my art in the evenings and on weekends. I try to stay organized and prioritize which projects need immediate focus.
What do you do to motivate yourself when you are in a creative rut?
When I am in a creative rut, the best thing I can do is to stop everything and put aside some time to be alone. I spend the time reading or wandering around the city. It is rejuvenating to me to take spend some time alone without having to interact with other people.

What is the one thing you are most proud of about your work?
I am most proud of the business I started with my husband, Ernie Velasco, creating and selling artwork together. We sell under the name Doubleparlour. We started the business over 3 years ago when we signed up on Etsy and listed a hand full of paintings we collaborated on. Now, we make illustrations, resin and polymer clay sculptures, prints and t-shirts. We sell our work online, in galleries around the country, and at local craft fairs.
What one suggestion can you offer students?
I think that it is most important to always trust your instincts and create work that is meaningful.
Thank you for sharing with us, Cassandra! I'm so impressed that you work full-time and manage to create such amazing work in your spare time.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for being involved in the discussion area! Each comment you leave is valuable and appreciated. :)